Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Shield Finale

The end is near! I've got about seven hours to kill before paying witness to the close of one of the greatest television series of all-time. And if the last three episodes are any indication, this could go down as one of the most satisfying endings EVER. A couple seasons back, I almost wrote off the show when they killed off Lem. To me, he was the only sympathetic character and after he died, there was nobody else to care about.

Well, I was wrong. I care about where they all wind up. Will Mackey's deal fall through? Will Ronnie exact revenge before being cuffed? Will Shane end his family's misery by his own hand? Will Claudette completely snap? Will Dutch get taken down by a budding serial killer? Will Julien remember that he's gay?

The greatness of this show is that I really don't know how it's all going to shake out, but whatever the outcome, it will make perfect sense. There will be no last-second reversals, no out-of-character moments. Their arcs are galvanized; their actions will follow suit.

The build-up to tonight's show got me thinking of the finales of some of my other favorite series. Most of them ranged from disappointing (Seinfeld, The Sopranoes, Twin Peaks, St. Elsewhere) to somewhat satisfying (Arrested Development, The Wire, Oz). I can't recall one that was great.

I guess the perfect finale is impossible, especially when you are so invested in the show and its characters. First, you don't want it to end. Second, endings are hard to nail. Third, everyone has their own vision of how they think it should play out.

Tonight, I plan to pour myself a healthy glass of wine, kick back, and let the tension of the last seven seasons finally unravel.

It better not suck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually missed the last show, which upset me. From what I hear, viewers were not disappointed.

I find myself looking forward to your posts. You don't write often but when you do, it makes my day. I find myself lost in your world...

Troufazz said...

Thanks for the kind words, anonymous commenter. Do I know you?

Anonymous said...

No, not yet...but you will

Troufazz said...

Well, since I don't know you, then I doubt you know me. Not many people know about this blog. But it's nice to know that someone is reading. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That's the best thing about blogs, they are viral....someone suggested I read it. Looking forward to the next enrty - dazzle me.

Troufazz said...

Did I lose my only fan?

Anonymous said...

There you are...thought I lost YOU.
I won't be arond for a while but I hope you have a very merry Christmas. Good things in 09...write something for me

Troufazz said...

Thanks so much. Hope you have a great holiday as well. I'll work on some rough drafts over your vacation ;)