Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Hold Steady - Terminal 5 - New York City - 11/7/08

I know this is over a week old and The Hold Steady are probably in Boise, Idaho by now (that's exactly where they are...I looked it up.) but it's better late than never.

Terminal 5 twice in a three day span. After The Decemberists show I was really wishing The Hold Steady were playing in a different venue. I'm not going to try to compare The Decemberists to The Hold Steady. Two completely different kind of shows. People at Decemberists shows cry when Colin Meloy breaks into a soft Fleetwood Mac cover (I saw pictures). People at a Hold Steady show jump up and down for the entire show singing along with the band.

Troufazz was along for this one. Lucky for me I was at Terminal 5 two days earlier so at least we had an example of "where not to stand" for this one. We didn't get there in time for The Drive By Truckers opting to achieve the perfect concert buzz at a different drinking establishment. I didn't have much of an interest either.

When we got to the venue we went on the complete opposite side from where I was the last time and kind of snuck right in front of a guy who was easily 7 feet tall...easily. We got to press our way pretty close to the stage without blocking anyone's view which is nice considering they probably waited through the whole Drive By Trucker set to get a good spot for The Hold Steady.

As far as the show goes, The Hold Steady are one of the best live bands touring today. There is no dull moments in the set. Even when they do play one of their ballads, they are good, and the next song brings the level right back up. Out of all the people in the place having a good time, it was easy to see who was having the most fun...Craig Finn. There is absolutely nothing choreographed about his performance. What ever herky-jerky movements he's doing on stage is just exactly what he's feeling at that moment. It's awesome to watch.

If I had to pick some highlights they would be Arms and Hearts followed right after by Massive Nights. Your Little Hoodrat Friend is always fun and How A Resurrection Really Feels was a good closer.

1 comment:

Troufazz said...

I'm in total agreement about The Hold Steady's live chops. They have a great mix of energy, earnestness and musicianship when they perform. In addition to the highlights already mentioned, I really enjoyed 'Lord, I'm Discouraged' and the BOC cover of 'Burnin' For You' done by The Hold Steady and Drive-By Truckers.