Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Decemberists - Terminal 5 - New York City - 11/5/08

I'm not a huge Decemberists fan. I only own two of their albums and still haven't decided where I land on them. I do know that the songs I like, I really like, but sometimes it's tough to get through a whole album without skipping a little.

It was my first time at Terminal 5 and off the bat it was not one of my favorite venues. It was pretty crowded by the time we got in. We settled in a little off to the side underneath a big overhang which is underneath the balcony. It was a decent enough vantage point to see the stage but the sound was terrible from there.

From what I've heard before going in was that The Decemberists are pretty chatty on stage. Especially when it comes to politics. Being that it was the day after the election, I was afraid they would be over chatty about it. My fears were confirmed as soon as the Barack Obama lifesize cardboard cutout was brought on stage. Now The Decemberists and I our on the same side when it comes to politics but that's not what I go to concerts for. I don't want to be chanting "Yes We Can" while helping a crowd surfing cardboard Obama around Terminal 5 between every song.

All that being said, a Decemberists concert for me is the same as an album. Valerie Plame, The Engine Driver, We Both Go Down Together, O Valencia, 16 Military Wives, The Mariner's Revenge Song and Sons and Daughters were all really good but there were obvious breaks in the set for me to go get a beer without missing anything...like The Perfect Crime #2. That song sucks.

No comments: