Thursday, April 9, 2009

So I Saw I Love You, Man

Now that March has ended I finally had to stop watching college basketball. So the first Friday I was able to go somewhere where I didn't have to have a piece of paper with a set of brackets in it was to go see a "Bromantic" comedy...I hate that word.

Let me kick this off by saying that this movie would have absolutely not worked as a PG-13 movie. I respect the filmmakers for going for the R even though it probably would have done alot better box office as a PG-13.

I read some message boards and discussed this movies potential with some friends before I saw it and the biggest fear people seemed to have was that Paul Rudd was miscast as the "straight man" in this. I didn't have that fear. I don't know if it was that Paul Rudd is generally good or it was just that I didn't have any fear that it wouldn't work playing off Jason Segel. Looking back, Jason Segel was good but his character wasn't that funny. The whole movie was pretty much a one-trick pony. Segel would set Paul Rudd up with a way try and say something cool but it would come out as something nonsensical followed by Rudd kicking himself for saying it. All that being said, and I know that didn't sound like a glowing review but I thought the movie was hilarious. It worked for me. There were some funny sight gags and some scene stealing work from Thomas Lennon and JK Simmons(as always).



No comments: