Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hendrix


As Axis: Bold as Love spins in the Cove 2.0, I think back to my formative years as a Jimi Hendrix disciple. I remember hanging the posters on my bedroom walls, listening to Electric Ladyland on vinyl as I pored over liner notes and raking the neighbor's yard cranking his Smash Hits through my boom box. Putting aside his well-deserved mantle as the greatest rock guitarist that ever lived, Hendrix brought this mixture of mysticism, sexuality and bad-assery that made him seem more like a Greek myth than an actual human being. He was like rock's version of a superhero: mysterious and powerful, possessing abilities never before seen. He wore costumes, had a murky past and probably even saved a few lives.

And, apparently, his Kryptonite was in sleeping pill form.

Even though he's known more for harnessing fury in a re-strung Fender, I think his greatest recorded achievement is Little Wing. It's just a beautiful song, plain and simple. It's also one of those songs that leave you wanting more... like you wish there was just one more verse before it fades out. The only other song that comes to mind that is like that is The Smiths' Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (the title is only slightly shorter than the song).

I think the Cove 2.0 should invest in a Hendrix poster. It would give us instant cred.

No comments: