Monday, June 2, 2008

Getting Inside Hymn

I love music. If I had to choose between being deaf or blind, I would give up my eyesight only because I couldn't imagine a songless world. Plus, being blind would greatly increase the talent pool, rendering any woman with less than a discernible amount of facial hair a ten.

Given the fact that I'm willing to relinquish my vision, it's obvious that music has a profound effect on me. Not all music, mind you. I'm indifferent to 90% of the stuff that people listen to, and if it elicits any emotion, it's usually anger. I don't think of myself as a music snob... I'm not comfortable being painted with that brush. But I do have a certain prerequisite -- a buy-in factor -- to enjoy music. Being introduced to the Beatles at an early stage (and henceforth convinced that they are the best introductory course in music) in my development, I am a sucker for good melody and tight song structure. The Beatles discography is really a microcosm for my musical development. From straightforward pop (Meet the Beatles), to more challenging, boundary-testing fare (Rubber Soul, Revolver), to experimental (White Album), to the lavishly produced (Let it Be).

The list of favorites are too long to list and, frankly, too boring to read. However (and this is the point of my new blog series... I can't believe I typed 'blog series'), there are some songs that I find so transfixing -- so otherworldly -- that I almost want to climb inside it for its duration. It's a four-minute vacation -- a brief respite -- from the confining walls.

A great song can make you disappear completely. Unlike being blind, where everything else disappears completely.

Upon further review, I really hope I never have to make that decision.

So, that's the premise. Each installment will take a song and explain why I want to live in it. Given that I've threatened to start this series for four months now, I will be happy if I make it past three installments. Three counts as a series, right?

Tune in (you see it!) soon as I attempt Getting Inside: Ocean of Noise by Arcade Fire.

No comments: