Monday, February 1, 2010

A to Z: The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

So it's time for me to start another feature on this blog that most likely will not be finished.

The idea of this is pretty self serving. It's a chance for me to go through my iPod and check out either new albums, new albums for me or revisit albums that I haven't heard in awhile. Figure what better way to do this than taking one artist per letter in the alphabet.

I'm kicking this off with the latest album from The Avett Brothers. I don't fancy myself a music connoisseur or a music writer by any stretch. I'm also not one of those guys who buys new albums every week. That's why it's taken me this long to give a good listen to an album that came out in September 2009 that has gotten a lot of good reviews. Now that I have proven myself to be less than qualified for this task, here it goes.

To be honest, the title track of this album was the first Avett Brothers' song I think I've knowingly heard. They played at the Newport Folk Festival in 2008 that I was at...and I didn't see them which I am retroactively regretting since I'm really into this as I'm rolling through my second listen of the day.

After two songs, the album was taking on a roots-rock feel which was nice for me since I consider myself a fan of that genre but hadn't picked up a Jayhawks/Golden Smog type album in awhile. After six songs or so, I couldn't place them in one particular type of music (not like I try to pigeon-hole bands or anything). All I know is that all of the songs whether they were upbeat numbers or piano ballads all seemed to be catchy which makes total sense after I read that Rick Rubin produced the album. I went back and listened to a few songs from their earlier stuff and it's extremely obvious. His finger prints are all over I and Love and You. I look forward to picking up something from their back catalog.

No comments: