Thursday, August 7, 2008

Newport Folk Festival - Part 2

This weekend was the tale of two days. Saturday the weather was bad but the lineup was awesome. Sunday, the weather was great but the lineup wasn't as good. Unlike the day before, we brought a cooler with pre-made mixed drinks in soda bottles (since you weren't allowed to bring in alcohol).

Since the music wasn't as important today, just a brief recap:

Brandi Carlisle - I really like her 1st CD, was off put by them using a song off her second album to promote a new season of Grey's Anatomy so I never got it. She sounded great and did the only encore I've seen at the festival so far doing Hallelujah.

Calexico - I only have one Calexico CD which I like a lot. Unfortunately they didn't play anything off of it. Other than JIM JAMES coming out for a song with them, the highlight was a good cover of Alone Again Or. I like Calexico's sound with the brass section and everything. I'm going to pick up some more of their stuff.

Son Volt - I was really big into Alt-Country a few years ago and Son Volt's Trace was a big album for me so it was cool to get to see them. We walked over to the Harbor Stage to see them. Hanging out behind the stage watching and eating some food was none other than JIM JAMES again. Between coming out with these other acts and just seeing him just taking in the whole festival raised my man-crush level to orange.

That pretty much wrapped up the festival for me. Jimmy Buffett was coming up next and the place was filled with Parrotheads. We hung out back at our blanket for a little bit. As soon as the applaud came for Jimmy Buffett we started packing up our blanket to the stunned amazement of some fans.

Fort Adams was a great venue for a festival. It was very spacious and the sound carried far. The atmosphere was great with boats crowded as close to shore as they could. It looked like a great party out there. I need a sailboat.

Back at the hotel, me and my friend were on the elevator back from the hotel rooftop bar. When the doors opened JIM JAMES was waiting to get on. We shook his hand and told him that we were fans and all that other stuff. He was really cool and genuinely seemed to appreciate it. Later on when we went back to the rooftop bar, he was still there. We had one more brief interaction and quietly shared a Newport sunset. Man-crush level...red.

No comments: